Saturday, August 16, 2008

What is a Life Without Trials?

I was pondering this question because my friend had something very sad happen to her. I wished SO badly that it hadn't happened and my soul aches for her loss. And that got me thinking about trials in general and what purpose they serve in the grand scheme of things. I know there are times (MANY times) that I think about the trials I'm asked to suffer, many not of my own making, and I get sad and bitter and I am tempted to ask God "Why?". And I know that there are so many other people who are asked to suffer so much more than I am, and I'm sad for them too. Then I stop and think of what it would be like to have a "perfect" life, a life without trials. What if people were NEVER made to suffer, or feel pain of any kind? Would that really be better? We ask ourselves why God would make us suffer so much. Why, if he loved us, would he allow us to feel so much pain and sorrow? In reality, if we look beyond the pain, we would see that it is a gift. (I know what you're thinking. 'yeah right!') But if we never felt pain, we would not really know happiness either. How could we appreciate anything if we never realized what it's like to live without it? I believe I can appreciate the miracle of motherhood on a different level because I had to suffer for 7 years before finally being blessed with a baby. I can also appreciate every little word my son says because we struggle and work SO hard for each little step forward. It's like putting a child's puzzle together, it's too easy, there's no sense of accomplishment at the end. On the other hand, putting together one of those rediculously impossible disney puzzles where they make a picture out of a billion tiny pictures.... now THAT'S an accomplishment! (trust me, I've done it!) How much more satisfied you feel after doing something SO hard! I have to stop and look at my own life like this. When I die and I'm sitting with God talking about my short, but difficult, earthly existence, I will be able to beam with at least a little bit of pride for making it through life's trials without losing my faith (maybe my sanity, but not my faith). And then... then i can live for the rest of eternity and really enjoy happiness and a life without the sorrow and pain.

And so you have it. My philosophical ramblings. You may think that I'm crazy or totally wrong, but that's ok. Everyone's entitled to a little craziness.

6 comments:

Jason said...

amen sista! i think i can guess what you're talking about as far as your friend goes, but i hope i'm wrong. it's true, life is crazy. i liked your 'won't loose your faith, but maybe your sanity'. ya, mine's lost (my sanity, that is). oh well. anyway, good (but kind of hard) post.

Allyson said...

Yep! It's the trials that make us turn to God. And then through our obedience and faith, we endure to the end--WALA Happiness. So much easier said than done!

Hey FYI, I got a call from the doctor office to schedule Ethan's visit w/ the doctor. They told me it wouldn't be until Jan. 09. I told then that the P.A. that we saw, a couple weeks ago said 6-8 weeks. They called back and gave me an appt for Sept. So if they call you and try to make you wait another 6 months--speak up! :-)

Ethan doesn't mind the stickyness for a short time, but then he wants to be cleaned up. I have to say I personally like clean over dirty!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I enjoy your ramblings :]
I agree with you on certain things as well.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you.
Kachelle is due beginning of December. Yeah she didn't even know she was pregnant till she was almost a month along :] ha ha
I'll give her your email so she can add you and you can see her cute belly growing.
Have you seen Kylee's little Nixon? He has so much hair! She gives him a cute mohawk :]
Hope your new ward is great and Braden is doing well.

Kachelle said...

I didn't know you had a blogg! i just invited you to mine. i totally agree with this post. we miss you guys over here, everyone's moving now! soon we'll be the only ones left!

Wright ON said...

I Myself have gone through a lot of struggles. this summer I had to to the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. It was with one of my kids, (ask Francie) but my self with severe Depression. And every time I thought things where looking up I would get another blow. I have had many prayers answered Maybe not the way I wanted them answered but just so that I knew My Heavenly Father loved me and was with me through all of my struggles. Things are much better and I am thankful for the trials Because I have learned so much and have become a stronger person. I loved your thought Emily.

Danielle

Nichole said...

Emily...THANK YOU!